THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE

Please go to our current, active forum

http://community.tubetoolbox.com

Thanks!
YouTube is currently undergoing site maintenance and should be complete by 1pm PST.
This is causing many Tube Toolbox features to fail at the moment.
more details here
For information about the new YouTube Layout, please look here: http://www.tubetoolbox.com/newlayout.aspx.
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Viruses from TubeToolbox? Rootkit? Options · View
MulderPA1
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:39:49 PM
Groups: Member

When I upgraded to the newest version of TubeToolbox not too long ago, my Avast Antivirus has been going crazy about a Root-kit/Malware on my computer. All I use on that computer is tube toolbox, so I know it's from nothing else. Is my password and account safe or is there something I should know? Something doesn't seem right. I love tubetoolbox and I don't want this to be a problem, but a root-kit virus is nothing to joke about. I'm hoping it's just some kind of coding error or something that avast is mistakenly picking up from TTB but that's why I'm on here asking...Thank you.
Toolman
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:00:27 AM
Groups: Administration

any chance you could email us a screen shot? (support@TubeToolbox.com)

There is absolutely nothing in the Install or Program other than Tube Toolbox so I need figure out what the problem is or contact Avast to ensure the error goes away.

Based on a description here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit , I might have an idea. When Tube Toolbox runs, we require you to run it as an Administrator or else you will see a prompt that says "Tube Toolbox is asking for permission to make changes to your computer" or something like that. The reason that we need that is because all of the Gathered Lists and other data that Tube Toolbox collects is saved to your computer using a "Microsoft SQL Compact Database". Unfortunately Microsoft programmed that database so only Administrators or someone with full access in Windows 7/Vista can access it.

The warning has nothing to do with Malware or anything bad. It's just saying that it doesn't like that we ask for full permission on your computer but unfortunately, that is required for us otherwise Tube Toolbox won't work.
MulderPA1
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 6:56:13 PM
Groups: Member

Thanks for the help. I just had a screen shot of it, but accidentally lost it. Next time it happens I'll shoot over an email. I'm just happy to know I have nothing to worry about and it's just some sort of bug. Thanks again.