THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE

Please go to our current, active forum

http://community.tubetoolbox.com

Thanks!
YouTube is currently undergoing site maintenance and should be complete by 1pm PST.
This is causing many Tube Toolbox features to fail at the moment.
more details here
For information about the new YouTube Layout, please look here: http://www.tubetoolbox.com/newlayout.aspx.
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

It's Working...Sorta... Options · View
CrazySlugProductions
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 5:32:08 PM
Groups: Member

Hello all,

I made the decision to venture out and start a YouTube channel earlier this year. It's been a TON of work so far...but it's all been worth it as I've got about 8 videos up.

My channel is animation, but it's a strange sort of animation I've invented myself. I hand-draw all the frames myself and then run them through a slideshow. It's sort of a comic strip, where the panels transition from one to another instead of being next to each other. There is some animation, with eyes moving up, etc.

The channel struggled at first with almost 0 views and comments. After I found and downloaded Tube Toolbox, things changed. Sorta...

I've been using Tube Toolbox for about 2 months now, and I can say it has been successful. I went from 0 to 159 subscribers and have a total of 3,000+ video views. Which is GOOD, don't get me wrong...but far short of the amount needed to become a YouTube partner. Especially as I read testimonials from others about getting 1,400 subscribers a day and becoming a partner in a short amount of time. So question is...am I doing something wrong? The channel is growing, but at a snail's pace, and at this rate it will probably take years.

I may not be aggressive enough with it, but I'm scared of reaching the limit. You can send 100 messages a day, so I send about 90, 15 unique ones. I also do video sharing...with a limit of 575 of those a day, I send about 500. I actually alternate between the two. 90 messages ones day, 500 video shares the next. The vast majority of the people I send don't respond. If I send 500 video shares, that video's views may go up about 70-100. With 90 messages I get about 5-10 subscribers.

I haven't started any dummy accounts. I was against doing that at first but now am considering it. It may quadruple the responses I get, but would even that be enough to hit a YouTube partnership? I also haven't tried mass comments.

I did try contact requests but I have 4,500 contacts already and I've now heard YouTube limits you to 3,000. I tried sending subscription invites to my contacts but it stopped at 730. And the results were meager anyway. It's entirely possible that my channel and videos just aren't that good, but most of my new subscribers are very positive and the likes far outweigh the dislikes.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how I can get this channel rocking? Like I said, Tube Toolbox IS working, but it's just going slow right now. What can I do to better utilize this tool?

Thanks,

CrazySlugProductions
CrazySlugProductions
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:30:47 PM

Update...I've been banned from YouTube. What happened? :(
SteveJen
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:11:11 PM

Hi CrazySlugProductions,

I feel horrible your account was suspended. It looks like most everybody using "Share Video" these past 24 hours were also suspended. On a positive note, you've been building your account for less than 5 months. Some of my accounts that were banned I had been building almost 2 years. Now that you've done it once and know what you are doing, I bet you can get back to where you were in less than 2 months. Now that you have 8 videos already completed, you should upload 1 per week for the next 2 months. Consistent uploads YouTube rewards via their algorithm. They also look for that when accepting partners. I don't recommend partnering direct with YouTube, it's better (and easier) to go through a network like RPM (which you can apply to through here: http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/RayWilliamJohnson).

As for the numbers you mention (159 subs, 3,000 video views), I think you're in about the same boat as everybody here. Those people getting 1,400 subs a day are the 1 in a million who get lucky enough to have something go viral, collaborated with or get plugged by a top YouTuber, or have been doing youtube for more than 3 years, so I wouldn't compare yourself to those people. I think your best bet is to upload a high quality video every week and maybe (and that's a big maybe) once you have around 50 videos, things might start to get rolling. At this point, I think becoming popular on YouTube has about the same odds as moving to LA and become a famous actor. I really do think they are quite comparable. We just have to be realistic. This all doesn't mean we can't have fun and upload videos because we're passionate about it. We'll probably be able to get thousands of people watching our videos, but to make it our full time job, I think we have to be realistic.
SteveJen
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:13:01 PM

Oh I forgot to mention, definitely read the YouTube Creators Playbook. It really is very helpful: http://www.youtube.com/yt/creators/playbook.html
CrazySlugProductions
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:30:32 PM

Thanks SteveJen, but if I may ask, is it possible to start the account all over again? I was under the impression that once you're banned from YouTube, that's it...you're never allowed back. Because they will ban the IP address associated with any accounts. I mean, once I log back in (especially if I use the same username), won't they figure out quickly that I'm someone they've banned, and suspend me again?

I hadn't updated this thread in a while...after I created it I went ahead and tried 4 dummy accounts. It did make a big difference...I pretty much quadrupled the amount of traffic I was getting. It still wasn't anywhere near enough to get a partnership, but I got up to more than 7,000 video views with 360+ subscribers. I actually didn't know you could partner with a 3rd party network.

But ALL my accounts got banned, and all my hard work went up in smoke. :(

Right now I'm sort of waiting and hoping that Tube Toolbox will work this out with YouTube and our accounts will be re-instated. I really really hate to start over from scratch, but I guess I'll have no choice.
DualReality
Posted: Sunday, June 3, 2012 2:33:02 AM

Hey Steve,

Could you please explain a little about about partnering with a different company. I didn't realise that was possible?

In regards to being realistic about our YouTube success...

"Being realistic is the most commonly travelled road to mediocrity" - Will Smith

DR

P.S Is it safe to use TTB again? My sub increase rate has gone down from about 18 a day to 3 as of yesterday since I stopped using. Just goes to show how effective it it is.
SteveJen
Posted: Sunday, June 3, 2012 9:01:08 PM

CrazySlugProduction, it probably won't be possible to create the exact same user name again (unless they unsuspend you, which would be fantastic!) so you'll probably have to pick a new username. I don't believe YouTube bans IP addresses because the IP address I got 6 of my 9 accounts banned on is still working for me and I'm logging into my still active accounts on it.

DualRality, partnering with a YouTube network is similar to partnering with YouTube direct. You still get all the partner feature such as custom thumbnails and the channel banner. One of the biggest differences is these networks have sales people that work the phones and sell advertising space and often get a higher rate for ads than if you leave it up to YouTube. Attempted to partner with YouTube direct 5 times and was rejected everytime. Some of the YouTube Partner Networks I suggest you looke up are: Maker Studios, TGN, Machinima, Revision3, FullScreen, Big Frame, maybe more I can't think of any others.

In regards to your Will Smith Quote: "Face reality as it is, not as it was or what you want it to be" - Jack Welch

P.S. I don't know if it's safe yet, I'm still waiting and being patient.
Apple321
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2012 1:18:18 AM